The Messenger Reviews

Obviously, this is a book review blog. I mostly read Young Adult books, but I try to branch out every once and a while as well!

We Were Liars

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

This book was not what I expected. Sometimes, that can be a good thing. Other times, not so much. This was one of those other times. After reading the description, I had been expecting a book like The Distance Between us, which I loved, and which this book was nothing like. Normally, I can count on the Library of Congress Information to paint an accurate picture of the story, since it tends to be more truthful than the description given by the author. For the first time ever, that information let me down.
Half the time, I had no idea what was going on. I was constantly trying to figure out what had been written, and had a hard time extinguishing what was a metaphor and what was real. I consider myself a pretty intelligent person (though definitely not the smartest out there), but the writing just made everything so confusing. Some people consider this book a mystery, and I can see why, with the whole amnesia angle, but parts of it weren't mysterious. They just didn't make sense. There's a difference between mystery and not having an explanation for events.
My second complaint is the amnesia. I think amnesia is a very much overused plot device. I think it's possible for it to be used correctly, like in The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, but I also think that it's very easy for it to be used poorly, and become cliché. In this book, it managed not only to be a cliché, but also to make the plot rather anticlimactic. I would have much rather read a book about Summer Fifteen than get these flashbacks, which managed to take exciting events and make them almost bland.
This book was not my cup of tea. I suppose I can see how other people might like it- after all, a glowing quote from John Green, whom I consider to be both one of the best authors and best people, is embossed upon the cover, but I wasn't a fan. I didn't particularly care for the plot, the characters, or the writing style. It certainly wasn't the worst book I've ever read, and when I wasn't confused out of my mind, I sometimes found that I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't consider it in the better half of books I've read. I can see the appeal, but this one just wasn't for me.
Two out of Five Stars